My Blog List

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Just be the best YOU!

As women we can't help but be constantly assaulted with images that tell us there is a part of our body that needs fixing. We are surrounded  by magazines telling us what to eat to lose ten pounds, get the perfect butt or amazing abs. Then, turn on the TV and commercials show us what face creams to buy to look younger and reduce those wrinkles. Clothing advertisements showing us the "four pound model" in clothes we should desire with the body we should envy. (This term is used loosely to refer to women who appear alarmingly thin to me. It is not meant to insult anyone who is just naturally very thin. It's to the women who starve themselves that I use this term . Remember the camera adds 10 pounds. P.S., my mom was thin and so is my sister.  :) ) The picture above is of my sister and I from last sept (before I decided to get buff. ) I'm not going to lie. For a looooong time I wanted to be "four pounds" some times three!  I tried it all. I was a cardio queen. I'd spend two hours on the stairmaster and not bat an eye.  I'd eat the bare minimum, limit carbs to the extreme.  But guess what? ???????  I got hit with the shocking reality, "I WILL NEVER EVER BE FOUR POUNDS"! Although I realized more importantly, I DON'T WANT TO BE!  I'm a strong chick who has curves. Yes, I have a butt (that I have no intention of making smaller )nike ad my butt-is-big ! I'm happy with me. I realize there are many things I can change and improve in my life. I can train harder, get stronger and eat cleaner. But I will never idolize or want to be a "four pound" model. You know who I admire and look up too?  All the women whose blogs I follow. Some are moms, wives, full time employees and personal trainers. But what they all have in common is they are strong women who radiate strength, power and of course, love kettle bells . ;) Everyday I try to be the best me I can be. You have to accept who you are and continue to push yourself to be better. That's the type of woman I admire and aspire to be more like. What about you??????

2 comments:

  1. You've come a long way Lizzie! It truly is an Evolution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I do also agree society plays a huge role in our body image. Society promotes this idea of the perfect body through our media and the beauty industry. I believe we must change the way we think and see beauty!

    "It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." -E.E. Cummings

    ReplyDelete