My Blog List

Sunday, September 25, 2011

EXTRA, EXTRA read all about it !!!!

Magazines.  There are millions of them, gossip, health, fashion, cooking, science and bodybuilding, just to name a few.  As a woman I can't deny that I've purchased hundreds, if not thousands, of magazines in all different shapes and sizes. I won't lie, I had to get my hands on People Magazine and see Kim Kardashian's three wedding dresses.  I previously had a subscription for womens health.  I actually considered asking for my money back. I finally had a realization. Why am I subscribing to this crap? Lift light weights, do lots of reps, be four pounds. :) Let's look at the content in these magazines. Every magazine these days wants to tell you what your favorite celebrity eats all day and what workouts they are put through. Hey listen, if I had a team of people cooking for me and telling me what to do every minute of the day I could eat a piece of lettuce all day too!  Lol, yeah I don't think I could or that I'd want too! But that's the mind set we all seem to be in as women, "if we aren't starving were doing something wrong!"  I know every single person reading this has said or heard a friend, girlfriend, co-worker, wife, sister or mother say "im eating a salad , im on a diet."   
So many of these  magazines instruct you to use 5 -8 pound weights. Hmmm... okay really? They say they are looking out for us they don't want us getting buff. First of all, what in your life are you picking up that weighs 8 pounds? My purse weighs more than that! You are not going to look like a body builder if you lift heavier weights! Don't believe me? ( 7 Myths of Women's Weight Training and Female Bodybuilding ) Psst, you have to get rid of the fat before you get buff ;)  Do you know how hard those women work ? How they constantly eat but eat clean and nutritious foods?  These magazines try to make women feel badly because they aren't "four pounds", but why would you want to be? (This term is used loosely to refer to women who appear alarmingly thin to me. It is not meant to insult anyone who is just naturally very thin. It's to the women who starve themselves that I use this term .) Who cares that you're not four pounds! Are you strong ? Do you bust your @ss in the gym ? Do you push yourself to be better ? Then throw those magazines out!
Elizabeth M

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree, I actually gave up magazines years ago, as I found them toxic to my self-esteem.. Although I do admit I am receiving good housekeeping mag lately, but that's just for the domestic diva in me.. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it so scary how we let these magazines affect us in such a negative way! Glad to hear you threw those mags out. Hahaha good house keeping is totally acceptable reading material :)

    ReplyDelete