My Blog List

Sunday, October 2, 2011

You are what YOU eat !

We've all heard the term you are what you eat!  In most situations it's meant figuratively but how about you take it literally! Errrr what? Let me explain .... I was a junior in high school,  in my honors English class . Our teacher incessantly  teased that the class as a whole was a bunch of nerds. We all thought this was hysterical (like she said nerds lol).  One day while we were all filing into class, she seemed very excited to get the lesson started.  But we were the nerds?  =) Finally, the bell rings for class to start  and my teacher begins walking around from student to student, placing a small box on each desk.  Everyone was in such suspense as she walked around. What she placed on our desks was nerds the candy!  After she had handed one to each of us she then declared with such enthusiasm " you are what you eat" ! In this situation it was true. ;) But are we really a product of what we put into our bodies ? ? Is what we put in our mouths a direct reflection on our daily performance ? 
Take a look at the person that constantly indulges in fast food and alcohol. Is this the diet of a person training for a race or any type of physical competition? Now take a look at the person eating clean ( lean protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats ). I don't know about you guys but ill take the clean eating over the fast food. I know its hard to eat clean! You have to go food shopping , cook and carry food with you constantly. I know this because I challenged myself in the begining of September to be ONE HUNDRED percent compliant. This also meant NO alcohol!  I know, I nearly passed out when I decided to commit to this. The reason I decided to do this was first, to see if I had enough self control to eat healthy and stay within my calorie range. Second, to see if there was a difference in my performance during my workouts. Third, to see if my body fat would change. I did not do this because I felt I needed to lose weight!  I should have measured my body fat before I began but I didn't =(  (Come jan 1, I will be taking measurements and checking my body fat . Jan 1 marks one hundred percent compliance until after the RKC in April ) Here it is oct 1, and I did it ! woohoooo ! Where's the wine and champagne to celebrate ? Lol. But seriously, what did I learn?  I learned I have all the control!  I was faster with my sprints, my workouts were crisper and I definitely noticed a change in my body fat. So what exactly did I eat?  That's another blog :) So if I am what I eat im defintely a chicken !  What are you???
Elizabeth M

2 comments:

  1. i'm so inspired by you Liz! I'm really glad Ari sent me your blog link :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) wow, im so flattered that you feel that way! I hope I can continue to inspire you !

    ReplyDelete